MHS Update and Covid vaccination planning
I usually post a blog on a Friday but I am doing so a day early this week to coincide with important steps towards organising the Covid vaccination programme in school.
Key information regarding Covid vaccinations in school
Accepting the vaccine or not is a matter for families and students. We are acting as neutral partners in the process and will facilitate the gathering of consent and the logistics of getting the right students to the right place on the days of the vaccinations.
1) Our designated vaccination window is mid-November, specific dates to be confirmed later.
2) On Friday 15th October we will be contacting parents and carers regarding gathering consent for the vaccine. On that day we will share:
- a) A letter from the Local Authority which contains more information on the vaccine programme,
- b) An email explaining how to respond to the consent request,
- c) An online consent form located within the Edulink app/website. This will not be live until Friday 15th October.
3) Our preferred method of gathering consent from those who wish to give it is via an online form on Edulink. We know that over 80% of students have at least one parent or carer with an Edulink account set up with us.
4) We aim to increase the number of parents/carers signed up to Edulink this week.
Where we believe that parents/carers don’t yet have an Edulink account, we will be sending out account details to all of those who haven’t registered with Edulink on Friday 8th October. If you haven’t already registered, and don’t receive an email with your account details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your and your child’s/children’s names and we will send out details to you.
If you have registered for Edulink and have forgotten your password, then please email email@example.com with your and your child’s/children’s names and we will send out a password reset link.
5) There will be the option to complete a paper vaccine consent form if needed, details of this will be shared on Friday 15th October.
6) Only those students for whom we have consent will be vaccinated in school. Students themselves will not be able to give consent no matter what age they are. In the event that a student wants the vaccine against the wishes of the parent, the student will not be given the vaccine in school.
We will note any cases where one parent gives consent but another states that they do not consent. These cases will be handed to the NHS vaccination team who will take steps to resolve the matter.
Finally, if you are fully up to speed with plans for the Covid vaccine and you have an Edulink account set up then you don’t need to do anything at all until Friday 15th.
If you do not have an Edulink account then look out for an email on Friday 8th giving the option of setting one up, or contact the exams.data email address above.